Back in April, the Kia Sportage won the Red Dot Award for Product Design. This prize is one of many which the vehicle has enjoyed over the years. Ever since it entered the sub compact SUV market in 1993, it has been determined to make an impression, although things didn’t necessarily start according to plan.
The first generation model was developed in the early 1990’s, sharing a lot of the engine, transmission and differential components of that Mazdas cars had.
Early sales were not good for the first generation model; after low crash test scores and recalls were made for rear wheels dismounting, sales slowed down tremendously.
Resolute, Kia’s engineering and design team got to work. the second generation model boasted a 2.0L straight 4 engine and a price tag of $16,000. The overall change from the first model was stark. Consumer Reports named it as one of the most reliable vehicles in 2009 and Insure.com said it was one of the most affordable vehicles to insure.
The third generation model experienced a marked change in the body design, giving it a smoother and more rounded appearance. Matched by a more spacious, comfortable and classy interior, every change paid dividends. So much so, that by 2015, Kia sold just under 400,000 Sportage units worldwide.
Today, the fourth generation Kia Sportage is one of the Top 10 Selling Cars in New Zealand. And it’s easy to see why.
Here are some of the specs
- ABS with Vehicle Stability Management
- Dual front and side airbags
- Dual side curtains airbags (full length)
- Front seat pretensions/load limiters
- Seatbelt reminder for all seats
- Impact sensing auto door unlock
- Child safety rear door locks
- ISO fix child seat anchors (2)
- All seats ELR 3-point diagonal seatbelts
- Engine immobiliser
- Remote keyless entry with alarm
- Reverse camera + Dynamic guidelines
- Electrochromic rear view mirror
- Cruise control
- LED side indicators
- Front fog lights
- Front and rear mud flaps
- Rear spoiler + LED brake light
- Roof rails (max. 100kg)
- 5 seats
- 7″ colour LCD touch screen smart display
- Smartphone connectivity through Bluetooth
- Leather steering wheel and gearshift knob
Interested in leasing a Kia Sportage? Simply fill in the quote request form below and someone will contact you very soon.